|Sample of a miniature penny rug.|
Brief Description: This miniature sampler of a "penny" rug provides young sewers opportunity to practice their embroidery skills.
- 4 felt squares from a hobby shop or scrap woolens (4 colors minimum)
- penny "templates" (below)
- contrasting embroidery floss, three colors
- embroidery needle
- black permanent ink marker
- Print and cut out the penny template provided below.
- Draw around the circle templates with a permanent ink pen after placing these on top of your felt or woolen scrapes.
- Cut out your penny design and pin it down onto a rectangular felt or woolen shape according to your own tastes.
- Use a blanket stitch to assemble the sample penny rug.
Additional Suggestions: Use all wool or all felt scraps for your project. Once you have mastered the technique, design a larger version to cover a tabletop or bedroom dresser.
|Template for a variety of "penny" shapes.|
This template may be downloaded and sized in a
using it folks.
All patterns and photographs by Grimm copyrighted 2011.