Friday, April 4, 2014

the "may basket" art journal page


The “May Basket” page from my art journal is sewn from cast-off lace mounted onto red fabric. The lower half of the basket was a sleeve from an old gown and the handle is made from gathered lace. The lace flowers came from a tattered doily of some kind. The verse is by Longfellow,
Maiden, that read this simple rhyme,
Enjoy thy youth, it will not stay;
Enjoy they fragrance of they prime,
For O! it is not always May!
I thought the rhyme appropriate given the condition of the lace. May baskets bring to mind old childhood memories. My little girlfriends and I would hang bundles of freshly picked wild flowers from the door knobs of our neighbors, then we’d ring each door bell and run to hide before it was answered. The older Residents always looked so surprised as they would exclaim loudly, “I wonder who gave me such beautiful flowers!” knowing full well tiny imps were hiding in the bushes giggling softly.


Related Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment