Friday, January 31, 2014

add texture to your textiles

Above is one of many teacher “samples” I have created to instruct students in the textile arts.

Textile pieces don’t need to be assembled like traditional quilts. Students can add
 pockets, pleats, layers, beads and blanket stitching wherever they prefer
 in order to create unusual designs.

I have sewn a clipped and ruffled center to this fabric flower from felt. In the flower above,
I have used several embroidery stitches to accentuate the design in a alternative way.
A variety of applications and methods may be used to incorporate texture
 into textile artworks.

Some of my fabrics are purchased from a store and others are hand-dyed or painted
 during my classes. I teach students a wide variety of methods so that they may
choose those techniques that appeal to their own creative interests.

In this photo, you can see that I am starting to add even more visual and tactile information
to my small banner with the introduction of bright yarns and threads. It is important to
teach students that they do not need to rely on machines to produce elaborate work.
Very few young people have the income or materials to produce artworks apart
from what they can manipulate by hand on their laps. They must be taught independence
and ingenuity apart from their financial means in order to survive as artists.

I chose to back my textile piece with this lavender leaf patterned fabric. Finishing artworks
 on both sides is professional. Art teachers instruct students to be professional in order
for them to achieve excellent results.
More Related Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment