|Every spring my daughters and I collect from their closets clothing and
other items that they have either|
outgrown or no longer need
|These items are then donated to charity.|
|However, given the fact that I am very sentimental about my children, it
often makes me sad to see them|
throw away those things that I have associated fond childhood memories with. Of course, you can
not keep everything.
|This sample banner, I think, helps me to demonstrate just how my
students may use some of the old|
garments and novelty toys they might label as “toss offs.”
|This image of a young teen is from a marvelous book. I will find it in
sometime today and link to the author/artist here.
|Students may even include text in their samplers; here I have used a
marker to write a story directly onto the fabric.
|Here I have demonstrated that students don’t need to follow stricter
rules used by quilters when they are thinking|
about their designs. I’ve used both the reverse and the front of this fabric within the same design.
|The batting here is used as though it were fabric and some of the edges
of fabric are|
left raw and frayed. Small plastic toys from my children’s old toy bins are also
sandwiched between layers of material.
|Even a silk flower from one of my younger child’s old costumes finds it’s way into the mix!|
|Finally, I have backed my textile sample with fabric from a skirt once worn by my youngest.|
- Etsy Focus – Hunted and Stuffed (hiddenblossom.com)
- Upcycled Baby Clothing Creatures Alisa Burke (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Team Upcyclers Awesome Interview and Pictures (ourchildrensearth.wordpress.com)
- Upcycled: old shoes covered in new fabric (refashionmama.wordpress.com)
- Turning Waste Into Clothes (psychedelichippiefashion.blogspot.com)
- Upcycling: Guitar String Flowers (fishandbicycles.com)
- How to Build Your Own Cyclepunk Chandelier from Bike Parts and Trash (treehugger.com)
- Upcycling Gives Excess Clothing Fabric a Second Chance (fastcompany.com)
- Upcycled Wetsuit Laptop Sleeves for Must Have Monday (modernecohomes.com)
- Research Into Ethical Fashion (sarahmorbey.wordpress.com)
- Upcycle Your Style with a CLOTHES SWAP (naturalechronicles.wordpress.com)
- Upcycling with Hipcycle: No Trash Left Behind (simplegreenorganichappy.com)
- Upcycled African Fashion – afriCAN is Made by Artisans in South Africa for North America’s Market (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- The upcycler’s Parisian paradise (dothegreenthing.com)
- iPhone App Connects Your Trash Directly to Artists and Upcyclers (treehugger.com)
- How-to: Make an Upcycled Smash Book (craftingagreenworld.com)
- Add Texture To Your Textiles (dollenvy.wordpress.com)